Paint can be a big part of any home transformation. White walls or cabinetry can compliment so many features in a home. But when you visit your local paint shop or hardware store there are so many options when it comes to white paint and that can be overwhelming. Some white paints have warmer undertones, while others have cooler undertones. How do you decide? So, today we are sharing our favorite white paint colors. These whites are always our go to options.
1. BENJAMIN MOORE WHITE DOVE
White Dove is a beautiful warm white. It has some grey undertones making it a soft creamy white but without looking yellow/off white. This is a great color for walls, trim and cabinets.
2. BENJAMIN MOORE SIMPLY WHITE
Simply White is the color that we painted our downstairs bathroom and I love it! It was named the color of the year in 2016 and I think it is one of the most versatile whites. This white paint is warm without being too yellow and crisp without being too blue/stark. It gives a fresh clean look and is fail proof if you are having a hard time deciding.
3. BENJAMIN MOORE DECORATORS WHITE
Decorators White is a true white. It does have a slight touch of grey that softens the color, but overall this is my go-to for a clean true white paint. We use this most often for trim or cabinets.
4. SHERWIN WILLIAMS ALABASTER
Alabaster is a gorgeous cozy warm white. It is very similar to Benjamin Moore White Dove. It’s not too yellow and looks great next to bright white trim. This is also a popular color used for shiplap.
5. BENJAMIN MOORE CLOUD WHITE
Cloud White is a soft warm white and falls in the middle of White Dove and Simply White. It has neutral undertones that makes it very versatile. This color can be used for both walls, trim, and even your ceiling!
6. SHERWIN WILLIAMS PURE WHITE
Pure White is a crisp white with just a little bit of warmth making it perfect for when you are looking for a true white that isn’t blue/stark. This color is perfect for cabinets if you are going for a white kitchen. It’s also great for walls and trim.
7. BENJAMIN MOORE CHANTILLY LACE
Chantilly Lace is another true white that has a bit of a blue undertone, giving it a fresh clean look. This is more of a stark white, so it pairs well in a room that uses cool tones in the overall decor.
HOW TO DECIDE WHICH COLOR TO PICK
Now that we have shared our favorites the hard part is choosing one. Below are the tips we use.
- Narrow down your options. We like to collect a bunch of colors and then narrow it down to 3-4 choices. More options than this will be too overwhelming and make it way harder to decide.
- The next step can be done one of two ways. If you don’t mind paint samples on your walls you can paint the 3-4 colors you chose in a couple of different places within your space. Another option is to paint the samples on a large foam core board and move it around your space. The point of this is to see what the colors look at different times of the day and with different amounts of light. You will be surprised at how different a color can look at different times of day and in natural vs artificial light.
- Another important thing to keep in mind when choosing paint is the sheen. We typically do Eggshell for the walls, Satin or Semi-Gloss for trim and flat for a ceiling. The sheen can affect the way a color appears, so it is important to decide this before you select samples.
And there you have it! Our favorite white paint colors broken down!
Do you have a favorite? Let us know your favorite in the comment!!!